20 Tips for Ordering Wine in Restaurants
reposted from http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2014/8/6/20-tips-for-ordering-wine-in-restaurants?xid=blog_20140808_29282296
How to Order Wine
Photo © Levi Brown
F&W’s Megan Krigbaum reveals simple strategies for choosing wisely from wine lists and talking to somms.
1. Look at the list online before going out. Thanks to new cellar-tracking technology, more restaurants are able to keep lists current on their websites.
2. Don’t cheap out on Pinot Noir. It’s hard to find a great one on a list for under $75.
3. Never use the word dry when telling a sommelier the kind of wine you like. It’s not helpful, since most wine is dry (i.e., lacks residual sugar).
4. Danger! There are no vintages, regions or wineries on the list.
5. Danger! Your only options are “red” and “white.”
6. Danger! The wine is stored on top of or under hot lights (heat and light will damage it).
7. When the wine options are dicey, play it safe and order a young, light white; if nothing else, it will be cold and refreshing.
8. Smart question for the sommelier: “Can you bring me something nerdy?”
9. Another smart question: “What grape or region are you most excited about right now?”
10. One more: “Do you have anything open that’s not on your by-the-glass list?”
11. Ask the sommelier to give you some descriptors for the wines you like. Word clues like “chewy,” “tannic” or “stony” can help the sommelier at the next place you visit understand your tastes.
12. Snap a photo. Wine apps, like Delectable, are a good way to keep track of the bottles you like for future reference.
13. Get more recommendations. Ask the sommelier to suggest wines from other regions or made with similar grapes.
14. If you like ripe sonoma Chardonnay, try a full-bodied Chenin Blanc from South Africa: 2013 Badenhorst Secateurs ($16).
15. If you like Chianti Classico, try an herb-scented Loire Cabernet Franc: 2011 Charles Joguet Cuvée Terroir Chinon ($21).
16. If you like Rich Southern Rhône Reds, try a structured Priorat: 2012 Alvaro Palacios Camins del Priorat ($22)
17. Ask the sommelier what he or she would drink.
18. Hold the wine list out to the sommelier and point to a price you’re OK with.
19. Tell the sommelier what kinds of wine you usually like.
20. When in doubt, choose a red wine with meat and a white wine with fish.
Wynwood – Midtown – Design District
Buenavista Chocolate and Wine – www.buenavistachocolate.com
Ice Box Cafe – www.iceboxcafe.com
Front Porch Cafe – www.frontporchcafe.com
PB STEAK – www.pbsteak.com
Miami – Downtown
Doma Polo Bistro – http://www.domapolo.com/en/
La Boca Grill – www.labocagrillcafe.com
Miami – South
That Wine Place- www.thatwineplace.com
#TBT a collection of tradeshows & fairs since our launch year in 2012. Thank you, dear wine lovers and enthusiasts, for the tremendous support! May there always be wine! #VinoArgentino #WineOfTheMonth #BestWine #TasteofArgentina Wines of Argentina Miami Wine & Spirits Expo Miami-International Wine-Fair Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America Malbec World Day … Salut!!
More on Huffington Post Healthy Living
#Wine #Of #Argentina
Creativity flows when one has wine! Try this out with a Ferllen Winery Malbec!
Visit our facebook/FerllenWinery to find retail locations in Florida.
Found this treasure recipe on www.relish.com
Join us at Novecento Brickell, Novecento Aventura or Novecento Key Biscayne!
All Ferllen Winery varietals are at special price since we were picked as #WineOfTheMonth.
Come with your mom and enjoy the best empanaditas Argentina!
The magic of April showers bringing May her flowers
Wine of the Month
Beat Monday’s Blues with Reds. Get your fix of a wholesome and balanced, French Oak and dark currant infused #FerllenWineryMalbec at:
MIAMI: The District Miami, Baires Grill, Icebox Cafe, Crazy About You || N.MIAMI: That Wine Place || S.Miami: Calamari Restaurant || WESTON: Libation The Love of Wine || PALM BEACH: BICE PALM BEACH … see Notes section for more locations. #TasteMendoza Wines of Argentina
VISIT OUR FACEBOOK/FERLLENWINERY FOR MORE INFORMATION ON LOCATIONS SELLING MENDOZA-ARGENTINA WINES.
Ferllen Winery #SpecialEditionArtSeries auctioned off last Saturday night during the #winningART2014 presented by ArtCenter/ South Florida … many thanks for inviting us to participate! Looking forward to the next one! Salut!